Minutes July 2019

Minutes of Meeting held on 29th July 2019

at 7.00pm, Pavilion, Queensway, Potterhanworth




1.Attendance and Apologies


Cllr. Bourne – Chairman                                             

Cllr. Orton – Vice Chairman                                      

Cllr. Burns (left meeting at 9pm)                                           

Cllr. Foster

Cllr. Sardeson                                    

Cllr. Watson

Mrs. J Bourne – Clerk


Cllr Hollidge

Cllr Cucksey

Also in attendance:  Cllr. Oxby – LCC. Cllr. Lundgren (late arrival) - NKDC.

1 member of the public


2. To receive reports from representatives on outside bodies

Police Crime Report

The police report stated there had been no reported crimes from 24th June to 28th July.


Lincolnshire County Council matters:  Cllr. Oxby

The new Tri-service station on South Park is due to be running by November.

Talks are still ongoing regarding the future of Usher Art Gallery

It is intended to find a community building for the black spot areas to distribute broadband. The Clerk will discuss with Cllr. Hollidge.  Cllr. Oxby will forward contact details to the clerk.

School Safety Zone – The Planning and Regulation committee meeting will be held on 2nd September.  As discussed at the June meeting, Cllr. Oxby will try to attend this meeting.  Our comments to be raised regarding the objections have already been forwarded to Cllr. Oxby.


3. Public Open Forum

A resident has raised the issue with Cllr. Foster of a vehicle which parks on the driveway, Barf road, overhanging and obstructing the footpath.  The Clerk will check with Highways.

4. To receive Declaration of Pecuniary Interest



5. To resolve, notes of the meeting held on 24 June 2019 are approved as the Minutes

It was resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on 24th June 2019 be approved as a correct record and were signed by the Chairman.



6. Matters Arising from previous minutes

  • Horsebox – still awaiting pictures from Cllr. Orton in order to sell.
  • Neighbourhood Plan (NP) comments to be forwarded to Cllr. Watson for Steering Group Meeting on 3rd July. Completed.  Feedback by Cllr. Watson from this meeting, are discussed at pt.7.
  • Local Plan (LP) comments to be submitted by Chairman.  Completed.
  • Chairman and Clerk to submit pre-application comments to NKDC regarding the 8 council houses and request a public consultation.  Completed.
  • Submit comments regarding objections to Cllr. Oxby regarding the SSZ.  Completed.
  • Lawnmower – Cllr. Orton to speak with Grundys regarding the faults and service.  Cllr. Orton will purchase and replace some more belts
  • Bus Shelter Grant – The Clerk has made enquiries and will submit an application. 
  • Removal of suckers around the bus shelter by Cllr. Sardeson – Completed.
  • Hanging trees at church and cow field to be trimmed – Completed.
  • Mole man.  George and Clerk to contact. 
  • Printing of Council house drawings by Cllr. Foster on A2 – completed.
  • Replace the light bulb in bus shelter – Cllr. Orton will do this tomorrow. 
  • Cllr. Watson raised a query regarding clerk’s wages.  Chairman gave an explanation of working hours and informed Cllr. Watson that a public meeting is not the place to discuss personnel issues and this should take place at a private meeting.
  • Cllr. Watson raised concerns that wages and payments are only signed off by the Clerk and Chairman.  The Clerk assured Cllr. Watson that there are 3 signatories for all payments, as per our Financial Regulations.  The Chairman would welcome more Councillors be added to the signatory list.
  • Cllr. Watson also raised the issue of who authorises the clerk to attend courses.  The Chairman explained that all courses attended by the clerk are recommended by LALC and are a necessity to the Clerk being able to work effectively.


Correspondence Received.


  • Obstruction to footpath on Moor Lane due to building works.  Further complaints had been received.  This was reported by the Clerk to LCC, Highways, for inspection.
  • Playing field – minor trip injury to attendee on the patio area at Beer Festival.  Cllr. Foster will fill the gap between the grass and patio.  Cllr. Sardeson will enquire with the Beer Festival for information to be entered in the Accident Book.  Post-meeting note – Beer Festival were not made aware of this injury.  Therefore the Accident Book will be completed by the Clerk using the knowledge we have.
  • PAT – completed.
  • Neighbourhood Plan – Consultants’ fee and feedback from Steering Group meeting of 3/7/19.  Cllr. Watson represented the Chairman at this meeting and was asked by the Chairman to share feedback.  Cllr. Watson said Cllr. Goldsworthy, Simon Matusiewicz and Liz Murray were in attendance.  There are 2 issues. The first is that policy 1 of our plan provides automatic approval for up to 6 properties within the village boundary. The other issue is that, with the Central Lincolnshire Local Plan under review at the same time, this may cause our growth targets to change in the future. The Chairman reminded everyone that this would not apply until 2022 at the earliest. Cllr. Watson advised that the amendment to our Local Plan largely centred around whether or not we agree that 6 is the right number for Potterhanworth. Nocton have made it clear that they would prefer not to have a number specified in terms of a housing development size.  Cllr. Watson said that as there is a difference of opinion between the 2 villages, there needs to be consensus amongst this Parish Council before we go back to Nocton and the Steering Group. The consultant has now presented us with an invoice, including 2.5 days not used, which Nocton have now paid. The Chairman was concerned about this cost as we were under the impression that Nocton were applying for a grant and neither PC would end up paying for the consultants’ fee.  The Chairman advised that we were unaware that they had not applied or not received the grant prior to commissioning the consultant. The Chairman agreed to discuss the invoice with Nocton PC as at no point in their proceedings did they suggest to us that they had not received the grant or asked us if we still wish to proceed with the use of a consultant.  If they had, we would have had a meeting to discuss it and this did not happen. 

Cllr. Lundgren said that locality grants are still available but they do run from period to period.So we need to be aware when the next period is and apply at the right time.It is possible that money is available but they do not like retrospective applications.Branston Parish Council expected their consultant to apply for the grant on their behalf and that worked well.The Branston plan had cost nearly £30,000 so far.

Cllr. Lundgren mentioned that changing Policy 1 in the NP by removing this limit of 6, would mean the Local plan would have to be used and this states that developments of up to 9, in a village of this size could be considered. However the protection offered by the LP is currently stronger than our existing NP and might be the cheapest and easiest way out for us.So an option might be to go back to the terms of the local plan which gives a greater protection than we currently have.

  • Troughs and flowers – positive comments and thanks received from parishioners.
  • Chairman asked if someone could strim and tidy up the grass around the planters.  Cllr Orton offered to do this.
  • Defibrillator beeping – the last battery was replaced in November 2017.  It appeared quiet tonight.  Cllr. Burns will find out the average expected life of the battery.


8. Planning Applications received

Planning Applications Potterhanworth

19/0356/FUL.  Amendment to land adjacent to Church Farm Cot.  Objection.

19/0930/RESM (17/1331/OUT).  Land South of Station road.  Objection.

19/0876/FUL.  Land rear of Moor Lane.  Erection of 8 affordable houses.  Approved.

The Chairman will be attending a meeting with Cllr. Lundgren and Deputy Chief Executive of LCC to discuss the lack of public consultation in relation to this application.

(Cllr. Burns left the meeting.)

Decision Notices

18/1185/FUL.  Land south of Bardney Causeway, caravan,  APPROVED

18/1246/FU.  Land south of Bardney Causeway.  4 holiday lets.  APPROVED

18/0534/FUL.  Storage building.  Rushfield.  APPROVED.

9. Pavilion Committee update

The external painting has been completed.

The plastering work has been booked for early August.

Chairman asked Cllr. Orton to arrange protection for the exposed pipe at oil tank.

10. Finance

All Payments total = £731.46

Balance total = £18,742.82

NS & I balance = £12,884.56

11. Dates

  • Date of next meeting:  30th September 2019
  • Future meetings: 2019: 30th September, 28th October, 25th November.

2020:27th January, 24th February, 30th March, 27th April, (11th May Annual Parish Meeting), 18th May, 29th June, 27th July

  • Village Walk.  Saturday 7th September 10.00.  Meet at bus shelter.



B/F and from meeting held on 29th July 2019



Resp. Person

Start date

Finish date


Accident Book update





Parking on footpath





Defibrillator battery life expectancy

Cllr. Burns




Strim around planters

Cllr. Orton




Take pictures of horsebox and email to clerk


Cllr. Orton




Neighbourhood Plan (NP) comments to be forwarded to Cllr. Watson for Steering Group Meeting.


Meeting with Chairman, Nocton PC










Completed 29/7/19



Local Plan (LP) comments to be submitted via website on poster




Completed 29/7/19

8 Council houses – submit comments to NKDC (Developer) and request public consultation




Completed 29/7/19

School Safety Zone – submit comments re objections. Include Cllr. Oxby




Completed (resubmission) 29/7/19

Lawn Mower – Cllr. Orton to speak to Grundy’s about the mechanical issues following the service

Will try repair and new belts.

Cllr. Orton




Bus Shelter Grant – Clerk will enquire





Suckers growing around bus shelter – to remove

Cllr. Sardeson




Hanging trees at church wall need trimming and cow field





Mole man – George to arrange visit





Plans of 8 council houses – print out on A0/A2

Cllr. Foster




Bus shelter bulb replacement

Cllr. Orton




Mrs Jackie Bourne       8th August 2019